In today’s turbulent economy, one thing is for certain, gold coins are a good investment. Since the days of the ancients, gold has been used to bolster economies, and now you can do the same for your coin portfolio. By having gold coins as part of your portfolio, you are assured the overall value of your collection will increase as the price of gold increases. Precious metal coins can be purchased with ease these days, as they are available on the internet. Gone are the days where you would have to find a reputable coin shop.
Simply by going on eBay you can find a vast number of gold coins. Some of the more popular gold coins are American gold quarter eagle, eagles, and double eagles. Of course, the most popular of those is the St. Gauden’s Double Eagle, which depending on the dates, can fetch up anywhere between, $1000-$20000. A St. Gaudens Double Eagle from 1933 sold for a record $7.5 million dollars in 2002, the highest price ever paid for a coin.
Here is a list of the top 10 reasons to invest in gold coins:
1. Coins is Liquid, remember, bullion is Liquid. You can sell you precious metal coins pretty much at any time and anywhere and get cash.
2. You a virtually assured a profit. As an investment, gold continues to increase in value. In January, 2004 your were paying about $400 per ounce, in 2008 your were paying about $900 per ounce, simply a great investment. Furthermore, coins can become scarce, especially older coins from the 18th and 19th centuries.
3. You feel safe having bullion coins in your portfolio, somehow you can take comfort that when the economy is tough, you have a sure investment.
4. Certified gold coins, have limited mintages, governments tend to only release small quantities of such coins at one time.
5. Coins are portable, it is quite easy to carry a case of gold coins around if need be. Also, should you sell the coin you can always ship them quite easily and at fairly low price.
6. Gold coins are simply stunning to look at. The greatest design is considered that of Augustus St. Gaudens who was commissioned by the American Mint to design the famous Double Eagle Coin from 1905-1907. In my opinion all the American coins are stunning, look for Indian Heads, Quarter Eagles, Eagles, and Double Eagles, always a great investment.
7. Certified bullion cannot be confiscated. Should the government cannot take away your bullion by law.
8. Gold is also a legal asset to own. Bullion coins are one of the last legal assets you can own.
9. Bullion coins are easy to find and easy to purchase, you can find them anywhere from ebay.Com to Coincollectinguniversity.com
10. Gold coins are fun to collect, so collect them first and foremost for the enjoyment.